Saturday, February 01, 2014

Indian traditions - and a surprising British occurence


I am infamous in the family for going on and on about how life used to be in India when I was a child, specifically the open houses where friends and family walked in and out - and anyone could stay as long as they wanted.

My favourite incident is about an uncle of mine, who walked in without warning for tea one afternoon, and stayed for over six months.

Not surprisingly, for British friends or those who know England well, I draw a parallel with the Clapham Circle, whose communal lifestyle was very similar to my childhood one in India.

But today I have learnt something that tops it all:

The "father of English hymnology", Isaac Watts, was once invited for a week to stay with friends in Hertfordshire.

He actually stayed till he died - 36 years later!


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: